Depending on where you live and what activities you like to do you might be able to take road trips throughout the year.
Road trips can be filled with adventure. It certainly gives you total freedom to come and go as you like.
You might see a beautiful place to stop for your lunch break or you might be in a place that does not offer what you are looking for so you push on.
Whatever your fancy, you’ll want to follow these guidelines for a successful road trip.
Watch this quick video and then read on for Getting It Togethers check list
Checklist for a successful road trip:
- Find out the goals and wishes of everyone who is going on this road trip. Try to accommodate most of them. For example: Do you want to drive for at least 8 hours a day? Do you want to take your time and only see what you see and not worry about the rest? Do you want to hit every “In and Out” burger place in town?
- Have a master list of the items you need for your road trip. Surfboard, skis, golf clubs, bike, certain clothing etc
- Make sure your car is in good condition, oil has been check and spare tire in good working order
- Take your driver’s license, passport if crossing borders, up to date car insurance and registration, roadside assistance card and maps. Google might not work in every small town.
- First aid kit
- A blanket, pillow for those spur of the moment naps or road side stops under a nice tree
- Spare set of car keys that are not left in the car
- A garbage bag for those coffee cups or car snacks
- A couple of things to entertain the kids. Like maybe a favorite toy, book or movie
- Portable cooler with water, drinks, snacks and ice packs
- Hand wipes and TP
- Motion sickness pills
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and beach towel
- Wear comfortable clothing and wrinkle free
- Your favorite music
- For safety I suggest you post on social media after your trip not before.
- For peace of mind, have a friend or neighbour check on your place while you are away.
Most important to keep in mind, this is your vacation time, family time, so make it as stress free and fun as possible. Safe travels.
PS: For those of you who have enjoyed several successful road trips please leave your comments in the box below. Your tips and additions will be helpful to others. Thank You