Who would have ever thought you needed a system or needed to be organized to online date?
Well, at Getting It Together. All things. Organized. We did.
Check out this short video on “How to Online Date” and then read on to get Getting It Togethers’ top 6 tips.
Let’s first look at some very important safety measures one needs to take before getting started.
- Protect your privacy. When selecting an “online” name choose something that does not really relate to you so that if an ex lover was looking for you they would not be able to put 2 and 2 together.
For example: If you are a horse lover do not use this in your online name. Do not use your initials or a pet name that someone might have had for you.
When it is time to connect with the online person, ask them for their phone number.
Never give yours out (if you are a female reading this) and when you do call the person be sure to block your number until you have had at least one or 2 calls. There are ways to block from a cell phone and a landline. Cell: #31# and land line is *67
- Know your objective. Do you want a long term relationship, just some fun, dating or a friendship? Be clear about this and make it clear in your online profile. What are your non negotiables? Be very specific with your profile.
You do not want to waste your time with people who are not a good match.
- Set aside time to peruse the online site, a time to connect via the online email system and a time to meet. This is where good time management and great organizational skills come in handy. Designate say Tuesday and Thursday nights after work to connect and one or 2 lunch hours for the pursuing part. Don’t jump to reply every time you get a message. This is not the best use of your time.
- Be organized. Have your little black book system. As shown in the video, you will want to have a system for keeping track of the people you are “talking” to online and the ones you are meeting. Post it notes are the best thing for this as you can move them around.
- Have fun! Meeting “strangers” online is not for the faint at heart. Keep in mind that each person is basically feeling the same way. A little uncomfortable, maybe nervous or shy and certainly vulnerable. Make your conversations light hearted, friendly and engaging.
- Follow the 4 agreements. Once you have started connecting be sure to keep the four agreements in mind. Don’t take anything personally. 2. Always do your best. 3. Be impeccable with your word ( online dating is not the place to lie or exaggerate…. No place is) 4. Do not make assumptions. This is where being clear and getting clear are extremely important.
If you haven’t read the book “The 4 Agreements” by: Don Miquel Ruiz I would highly recommend it. It is a fabulous read even if you do not online date. Great daily words to live by .
Here’s wishing you a life filled with love, joy, laughter and fun whether you are single, married, searching for a mate or not.
I am a sucker for a good love story. Please leave your comments in the box below on how you and your spouse/partner met.
PS: Feeling a little unsure about online dating? Treat yourself to a coaching session where we will discover your objectives, goals and needs. Contact me today at www.gettingittogether.ca