How often do you hear people say “oh it is only X dollars so I may as well get it”
You are out shopping with a friend and the clerk lets you know that today only is “buy one get one free (BOGO) or buy one and get one at half price”
These and many more are some of the shopping traps we need to be aware of.
Check out this short video on how to avoid shopping traps
Then read on for Getting It Together’s Top 7 tips on How to Avoid Shopping Traps (not in any particular order)
- Gift with purchase. You will see this a lot at the cosmetic counters. Spend 50.00 and you get this for free. Now the interesting thing about these gifts is that they might not be the best items for you. Check and make sure you really need these free items or have a friend/family member that you can give them to. Do you have large quantities of unused cosmetic items sitting under the sink? Why not donate them to your local women’s shelter?
- Bigger is better. All of the big box stores promote this mentality. Let’s get real! If you live on your own or have a really small family you probably do not need a life time supply of paper towels. It is better to keep your money in the bank than on your pantry shelf taking up valuable space. So often I clear out a client’s pantry only to find several hundreds of dollars of expired food items. Can you split large bulk items with your neighbour or a family member?
- Free Shipping (if purchase is over X amount). Don’t get caught up in buying unnecessary items just to get the free shipping. Better yet why not talk to a friend or family member and see if they need anything from that same store.
- Get them in all colours. I always thought that was interesting how Oprah talked about her favorite things and when she found a sweater she liked she got it in every colour. For her it is not about the money however when does a gal have that much time to wear all those sweaters?
- It’s on sale. This is not the reason to buy anything. The only reason to make a purchase is because you need the item. This is especially true for women’s clothing. You hear ladies say “well it was ONLY 9.99” but do they wear it? Just think, you have to spend to save!
- Complete your set. Ok if you have a fine china set and you use it and love it then you probably would want to have ample place settings to complete the set however in most other cases (which I cannot think of one can you?) then what set do you need to complete?
- Not having a purpose. We can get caught up in these traps by thinking that one day we might need that item. Whatever that item might be. Buy things as you need them.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing.
- Do I need it?
- Do I have the money to buy this?
- Can I get it on sale or at a better price someplace else?
- Can I ask for this item for my Birthday, Anniversary or Christmas gift?
- What is the purpose of buying it?
This article is not about putting a damper on shopping which can be a fun past time for many. It is simply one way of looking at how to avoid shopping traps. We all make purchasing mistakes. Buy an item just because, or to make us feel happy or we feel we got talked into it just to name a few. However next time you head on out for a shopping day take these tips and maybe it will help you in being a more mindful shopper.